Al Drago via Getty Images
When I think of Hillary Clinton offering her eloquent ode yesterday to Nancy Reagan for the late first lady's supposed "very effective, low key [AIDS] advocacy," I am absolutely furious and I don't know what to do with myself.
David Hume Kennerly via Getty Images
Earlier today, my friend Nancy Reagan joined her husband in their adjoining gravesites at the Reagan Library. United in death as they had been throughout their long and happy marriage, Nancy and Ronnie were two film actors who played out their lives on a much more exciting world stage than Hollywood.
Kirk Douglas
Actor, author of 10 books and a book of poems "Life Could Be Verse” published by HCI, December 2014
Getty Images
The Times has done Israelis, Palestinians, and its readers a disservice.
James Zogby
President, Arab American Institute; author, 'Arab Voices'
Getty
Republican voters face a bad choice. The Donald's shortcomings are manifest. Marco Rubio may be young, well-spoken, and attractive. But his foreign policy judgment is awful. If you want more foolish, costly, and unnecessary wars, vote for Rubio.
Linjerry via Getty Images
America's Cradle to Prison Pipeline is a toxic cocktail of poverty, illiteracy, racial disparities, violence and massive incarceration which sentences millions of children of color to social and economic death. Once young people have entered, to many they become just a statistic.
Ronnie C. Rouse
At a Donald J. Trump campaign event March 9, 2016, my friend Rakeem and I saw what being American is all about. It has been unreal, distressing and nauseating. One of the main thoughts that remains in my head is,
What if I didn't have my camera? Thank God I did.
Justin Sullivan via Getty Images
We cannot afford to elect a President with a history bad judgement, inconsistent positions, and who has used public service as a vehicle for private gain. In other words, we cannot afford the status-quo.
Ben Cohen
Co-Founder, Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream and Head Stamper, StampStampede.org
DoD
The military has long prided itself on being a meritocracy, where those who serve are judged not based on who they are or where they come from, but rather what they have to offer to help defend this country. Today, we take yet another step toward that continued excellence.
Ash Carter
25th Secretary of the Department of Defense
The Hunting Ground
There must be a thorough outside investigation into how Perry and other FSU officials-including Jimbo Fisher, the FSU head football coach, and Monk Bonasorte, the Associate Director of athletics-colluded to protect Winston.
jakebehindthelens via Getty Images
With depressing regularity, it keeps happening. A child, sometimes as young as a toddler, gets hold of a firearm (usually owned by a parent or other family member) and unintentionally pulls the trigger with horrific results.
The Washington Post via Getty Images
Trump's scapegoating of Muslims, Hispanics, blacks and other "others" for political gain is exposing a racist ugliness, and dangerously inflaming it. Who knows how big the fire might get?
Kezia M. Williams
As my co-worker and I approached, we were not scared when the protesters yelled their misinformed opinions at us. We were emboldened by the blood of my ancestors which fertilized the fields of a nation not yet free for all.
Kezia M. Williams
Young Philanthropist, Revolutionary, Teacher of Black Entrepreneurship
Without a muscular pushback from the public, the big airlines could claim the American airspace as their own to tax and regulate, without any significant compensation to the American taxpayer and no oversight from elected officials. Talk about getting skyjacked!
Getty
The point that needs to be made and is often missed, when it comes to the utterances from the right-wing crazy train, is that the presidency is a real job and requires the person to fill that job to live in reality.
Richard Zombeck
Richard Zombeck is a freelance writer and a podcaster at TandZTalk.com.
ASSOCIATED PRESS
As the news broke on March 7, 2016, that U.S. drone strikes had killed 150 people in Somalia, the White House announced it will reveal, for the first time, the number of people killed by drones and manned airstrikes "outside areas of active hostilities" since 2009. This is a critical first step toward much-needed transparency. But it will not go far enough.
Let us be as comprehensive in our approach to addiction as it is in taking lives. Every stakeholder, physician, public official and addiction counselor I speak with is thrilled at the momentum and strategy revealed today.
Mehmet Oz, M.D.
Cardiac Surgeon and Host of the Emmy-Award Winning 'The Dr. Oz Show'
Marwa Alaradi
What was supposed to be a family vacation turned into the nightmare of our lives when my father was kidnapped into a mysterious black car on the streets of Dubai. As we waited for the UAE government to sort out my father's unjust detainment, we realized that dead silence is not the answer.
El Nuevo Herald via Getty Images
The focus of the media was the "civility" of this debate compared to previous ones, combined with typical horse race speculations about which candidate won and which lost. Well, I can't tell you who won, but I can tell you who lost: the American people lost.
Sandra Dahdah via Getty Images
Binney spent over 30 years at the National Security Agency as a high-ranked official and left in 2002 after criticizing the agency's system for collecting data on Americans.
Robert Scheer
Editor, Truthdig.com; Author, 'They Know Everything About You'
Bloomberg via Getty Images
But once we settle on this axiom -- no god-powers to Donald Trump, ever -- the fact remains that even if he were to become president the world will remain much larger and more inscrutable than someone like Donald Trump (whose truly unhandsome reflection consumes his entire universe) can even fractionally comprehend.
Dan MacMedan via Getty Images
I have so many things that I want to say to you, more than I can address in this post. While I haven't personally sat down and talked to Chrissy I'm currently walking in her shoes, (minus the whole supermodel thing) and have a few choice opinions on this subject.
mauro grigollo via Getty Images
Yes, I have Parkinson's disease and I tried out for
American Ninja Warrior. Yes, I would love to be on the show for a multitude of reasons. However, what I've learned training to be a ninja has far outweighed the benefits of being on TV.
Allison Toepperwein
Single Mom, Blogger, Social Media Network Creator, Motivational Speaker, Fitness Enthusiast, Mud Runner, Parkinson's Patient and Overcomer
Catherine Kraemer
I can't speak for them, or for anyone else, but when my sense of the natural order of things left, I acquired the heaviness of grief... and an immense amount of fear. Now that nothing makes sense, I am afraid of everything.
Catherine Kraemer
Advertising writer, parent and parenting blogger living in Omaha, Nebraska, with her husband and two young daughters.
Monkey Business Images Ltd via Getty Images
I've heard people say cussing is a morality issue. It's not. Our daughter is a good person. She is responsible at home. She knows swearing does not make a person bad. Being disrespectful and treating others poorly makes them bad. To us, these issues are separate.
Chicago Tribune via Getty Images
Much as I'm reluctant to further any infighting within the transgender and gender nonconforming community, I also have a responsibility to speak truth to power. Your visibility has gone from mildly annoying, to problematic, to atrocious, to outright detrimental, and so I ask you, politely: Stop trying to help though the media and public appearances.
Laura A. Jacobs, LCSW-R
Trans* and GenderQueer-identified psychotherapist in the NYC area working with sexual/gender minority populations. www.LauraAJacobs.com
RHONA WISE via Getty Images
Although Governor Kasich has trailed Trump in most all of the polls in his home state, he has recently gained ground and the endorsement by Ohio State football coach, Urban Meyer, will greatly improve his chances on Tuesday.
Robert Alexander
Professor of Political Science at Ohio Northern University, optimist, pragmatist, and advocate for centrist politics
Scott Olson via Getty Images
In a perfect world, Bob the Drag Queen from the latest season of
RuPaul's Drag Race would be elected President of the United States. But until we reach that beautiful day, we must evaluate each candidate's flits and specks of gayness.
ASSOCIATED PRESS
The real story will be revealed only if she releases the transcripts from the three speeches she gave to Goldman Sachs for which she was paid $675,000. Her unwillingness to do so strongly suggests she has something to hide. What did she really say? Here's a reconstruction.
Les Leopold
Author, "Runaway Inequality: An Activist's Guide to Economic Justice"
Anadolu Agency via Getty Images
I have heard more times than I can count, especially since the start of the Vienna peace process on Syria last November, that Syrians are simply "tired of war" and that it is time to give up on the Syrian Revolution's core demand for the departure of the Assad dictatorship.
Mohammed Alaa Ghanem
Senior political adviser and government relations director, Syrian American Council in Washington
Copyright © Sunil Chaturvedi. All rights reserved. via Getty Images
First, I would like to thank most of you for finally accepting gay men and the rest of the LGBT community. It's hard to believe that just 20 years ago -- even 15 -- many of you told us we were sinners and deserved to die of AIDS.
No comments:
Post a Comment