Wednesday, 11 February 2015

Told You So (Samsung And Others)


 

----- Original Message -----

From: Len Cranford


Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 10:26 AM

Subject: You Want to Grovel in Fear;

 

Thank God this is all over the net;

 


 

So you wish to purchase a spying device and put it in your living room eh?  

I wrote about this quite some time ago.....

As first reported by The Daily Beast, Samsung's Smart TV privacy policy includes the following warning.

"Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition," the site says.

Yep.

Heh Dave, let's smoke a joint!

Whooop-whooop!  Hands on your head, you're under arrest!

Fanciful?  Not really.  Whether Samsung claims to not store or use the data is irrelevant, really.  The fact is that it is transmitted out of your house, and due to that any compromise in the chain of trust between the source and destination makes possible interception.

Do I trust Samsung?  Not as far as I can throw them.

The problem is that I trust them more than I trust the random government or other commercial goon!

Don't think turning this feature "off" stops it either -- that's yet to be proved up.

Fox News is trying to debunk this.  Sorry, no dice -- there is nothing you can do about a rogue firmware update -- or hidden back door in the code -- that allows "someone" to turn the microphone on without notifying you, other than cutting the wire going to the mic!

If Samsung wants me to believe that no such back door exists, now or in the future, it can release the source code to the TV firmware and provide a means to verify that it has been unmodified when loaded.  Until then I have no intention of believing them and you shouldn't either.

If you have such a device you better black-ball its outgoing connections in your router.  If you don't know how to do that, well....

No comments:

Post a Comment